Here’s a cocktail to jumpstart Hispanic Heritage Month! Mezcal is a refreshingly tart margarita made with mezcal, hibiscus flowers, and fresh lime juice. This cocktail is not only delicious but also healthy! Did you know that research has uncovered a range of health benefits linked to drinking hibiscus tea? The research shows that it may lower blood pressure, fight bacteria, and even aid weight loss.
- 1/2 cup (120 g) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- Hibiscus tea bags or dried hibiscus flowers
Margarita (for one drink)
- 2 ounces (60 ml) mezcal
- 2 ounces (60 ml) fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces (120 ml) Hibiscus Syrup
- Coarse salt and sliced lime for rimming the glass
Make the syrup
- Whisk the sugar and water in a small saucepan until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer, then turn off the heat and add the teabags (or hibiscus flowers). Let steep 20 minutes. Remove teabags or pour through a strainer. Cool syrup completely in the refrigerator until cold. Makes enough for 4 drinks.
To mix one drink
- Put about 2 tablespoons salt on a small plate. Run the flesh of a lime wedge over the rim of a glass, then turn the glass upside down on the salt, turning the glass to coat the rim. Fill the glass with ice.
- Pour the mezcal, lime juice, and Hibiscus Syrup in an ice-filled cocktail shaker. Shake or stir vigorously until well mixed. Pour over the ice-filled glass. Garnish with a slice of lime. Cheers!
How is mezcal different from tequila?
Mezcal is sparkling clear just like tequila, but has a seductively smoky finish that brings a very sexy zing to cocktails. Also, Mezcal is made by fermenting agave juice, just like tequila is.
Technically, both spirits fall into the category of mezcals.
In December of 2020 Christell Frausto founded Tequilaria, an unconventional liquor store. She created the shop with women in mind—a place where they feel comfortable, safe, and excited to try new and unique products. Tequilaria specializes in Tequila, Mezcal, bourbons, and offers a wide selection of wine, beer, and spirits. When you visit, you will be welcomed by a friendly staff and can even sample products in the tasting room. Tequilaria is an experience—not just a place to shop. You can keep up with Tequilaria through social media at @tequilariapeoria on Instagram and Tequilaria Wine and Spirits on Facebook.